Becoming My Own Midwife by Celeste Gurevich

Painting by Arna Baartz

I learned to survive by quilting myself with breath, blood, bones, and stories.

Panel by panel, saturated remnants of all of the Celestes I have ever been. The stitches laden with the scent of early Spring daphnes, garden-fresh basil a licorice-y labor of loving hands. The eternal tang of salty Pacific Ocean air. In the warp and weft of fiber, my scars, each with its own tale to tell.

Listen carefully and you will hear the music that moves me. You will feel the boiling momentum gathering in my root chakra, moving through my limbs with the notes, up through my arms and legs. The release, exquisite, of muscles moved to dance. Of vocal cords thrown open in song.

Mine is an embodied body. A body that was abused, and is still in recovery, rediscovery. A body that brought life into the world without a pharmaceutical fog to separate me from my Pain. A body that has walked barefoot, childtoes in love with mud-thick, warm Mother Earth juices.

Mine is a body in flux, at the mercy of the dialogue between estrogen and progesterone, the interplay of ovaries and uterus. A bodymachine heaving herself in fits and starts toward cronehood.

And I.
Am.
Ready.

Arms wide open to this New Self, it is time to embrace my failings, see them anew. To honor them as blessed teachers.

To reclaim.

From this day forward, I transmute into power being told that I should NOT read in class my very first day of school. Shamed by the adult in charge for teaching myself to read. The embarrassment, guilt for being smart at six years old.

As of today, I recognize my value in my relationships. Off with the blinders of self-doubt. I see now that I was a woman desperately in need of affection, for someone to have my back, to hold me and say it would be okay. Settling for abuse or safe mediocrity because I couldnt yet see that I could thrive, and not merely survive.

I reclaim my own experience of being a poor, struggling single mother in a generation of women who watched as socially guaranteed safety nets were yanked out from under our feet. Denying those of us who ached to elevate. Those of us who were willing to sacrifice, those of us who kicked and screamed against the System.

All we wanted was the opportunity to succeed.

Ill take every shitty job, every small-minded, small-dicked tyrant boss.

Decades of working my body to chronic pain and injury for someone elses profit.

I call to power my library and barstool education. I rose beyond the poor-ass school district I spent hard time in. Held my creativity close. Set my own curriculum. Pushed through being denied funding and support to continue my education. The thing I wanted most desperately.

I proclaim my diploma from The Global University of the Self-Educated and the Academy for the Ideal of Unlimited Potentiality.

I claim it all. 
 
Every piece invaluable. After all, until you fall enough, how can you lose your fear of falling?
It made me who I am today.

Healer, mother, writer, artist, empath, musician, wife, gourmet chef. Grandmother. Matriarch.

Holding the line of my ancestors. Holding the line.

Heart wide open. 
 
Mind on fire.

There is wisdom, empathy and strength through suffering and pain. If you chose to look that motherfucker in the eye and not blink. To jump free-fall down into your stories is a courageous act, and they are the most crucial gift we have to give one another.

To say FUCK YOU to fear is the only way to create new trajectories for ourselves. Away from abuse. Away from neglect. Toward loving ourselves as we are. Knowledge, consciousness, and righteous outrage are my weapons.

Stretching, my mind and spirit are being pulled outward in every direction. Ocean size. To the nebulas. Far enough to hold the magnitude of abundance that is my life now. That is my love. Now.

Mind wide open. Heart on fire. Expanding, out and out and up and beyond, wide enough to hold all of the intensity and passion and pain and humanity and laughter and sex and joy and stories and stories and love and art.

-An excerpt from the upcoming Girl God Anthology, Single Mothers Speak on Patriarchy - out later this year!




Celeste Gurevich is a multi-medium Social Artist, Bird Nerd and proud Matriarch who grew up on the Central Oregon Coast, and has lived in Portland for almost 25 years. Her work has been published in Perceptions: A Magazine for the Arts, The Manifest-Station, and elsewhere. She is also an Associate Producer of the podcast, On The Block Radio. 

Celeste is currently putting together her first chapbook of poetry. If you need more of her words, you can find her on all the social medias.

Comments

Post a Comment